Whole-Wheat Pasta with Veggies
Whole Wheat Pasta tossed in a home-made sauce with veggies and Parmesan cheese. Perfect for lunch boxes!
When our first born started Kindergarten, it was a challenge for me to decide what to pack in her lunchbox. I wanted something that could be easily eaten and at the same time is nutritious as well. The item also had to be suitable for us, adults. One of such items was this Veggie Pasta dish. Quick to make and easy to pack and eat. Gets done in 20 minutes flat!
Serve it with some salad on the side if you want to!
- Whole Wheat Pasta such as Penne, Fusilli etc - 1 box or depending on serving size
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Onion - 1 small, chopped fine
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Dried Oregano leaves - 1 tblspn
- Dried Basil leaves - 1 tblspn
- Carrots - 2, sliced
- Mushroom - a handful, sliced
- Bell Pepper - 1/2, sliced
- Broccoli - 1 Crown cut into florets
- Any other vegetable of choice such as green beans etc - Optional
- Tomatoes - 2, pureed (raw)
- Parmesan Cheese - 2-3 tblspn, freshly grated
- Milk - a dash (Optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Sugar - 1-2 tspn
- 1) Cook Pasta per package instructions.
- - Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for a minute.
- - Add oregano and basil and give it a good stir. Let cook for a few seconds.
- - Add carrots, mushrooms, bell pepper and cook covered with lid.
- - Add broccoli and tomato puree, salt and pepper and cover with lid and cook till veggies are cooked as desired.
- - Add milk, sugar, cheese and mix well. Adjust seasoning if needed. Switch off the flame.
- 3) Toss the cooked pasta in the prepared sauce, sprinkle with some more cheese on top and serve.
- Serves: 7 for a whole box of pasta
- 1) If you want to spice things up a little bit, you may add red Chili powder or a Green Chili to taste. If adding green chili, add it with onion and garlic while making the sauce. If adding powder, add it with milk and cheese.
- 2) You may add shrimp and chicken as well to the pasta. Do not add the milk if adding these.