Goan Vann is a very simple dal recipe without any spice. My family loves it. Dal is simply flavored with lots of cumin and is cooked with ground coconut.
Varan accompanied with piping hot rice with a dollop of ghee is just so comforting! Gentle on the tummy too! My kids ate this as one of their first foods and loved it. This is probably a very common dish that you would find at a post puja meal. A combination of rice, varan and the traditional ‘saar’ is just out of the world!
- Toor dal - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar - 1 tspn (Optional)
- Shredded coconut, fresh or previously frozen & thawed - 1/4th cup
- Cumin seeds - 1-1.5 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4th tspn
- Water - Sufficient for grinding (Use hot water if not using freshly shredded coconut)
- Peppercorn - 4-5 (Optional)
- 1) Wash dal in clear water and soak in water for about 15 minutes.
- 2) Add water to dal. Note that water level should be about 1/2 inch above dal level. Pressure cook on high flame for 1 whistle and on medium low flame for 2 whistles. Let the pressure drop by itself.
- 3) Add the ground mixture to the boiled dal. Add salt and sugar. Adjust seasoning and consistency, adding water if needed. Let the mixture come to a boil over medium flame. Switch off the flame. Serve with hot rice with a dollop of ghee and a few drops of lemon juice if desired.
- Serves: 4