Tikhat Shevyo/Spiced Vermicelli
Vermicelli cooked with onion and a wee bit of spice.
This is a very easy dish that gets ready in minutes. You don’t need much effort to prepare this. Ideal for breakfast or as a simple tea-time snack. My aunt would prepare this when we visited her as kids. So whenever I am eating this, I remember the good old days.
- Vermicelli - 2 cups
- Hot water - 3 cups
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Onion - 1 small, chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 2, slit vertically
- Powder of 2 cloves, 1/4th inch cinnamon stick and about 3-4 peppercorn
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Sugar - 1 tspn
- Lemon juice - 1/4th tspn
- Salt - to taste
- 1) Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and green chillies and saute for 2 minutes.
- 2) Add the spice powder and stir fry for a minute.
- 3) Add the vermicelli, mix well and roast till the color changes to light golden. Add turmeric. Mix well.
- 4) Add salt, sugar, lemon juice and water. Mix well. Taste the water to adjust the seasoning before it gets completely absorbed by the vermicelli.
- Serves: 4
- You may add boiled veggies such as green beans, carrots, peas, corn or cauliflower to increase the nutritional value of the dish.