Salad with homemade Ranch dressing
A refreshing salad made with homemade Ranch dressing. So yummy!
Lets talk about the salad first. It is very delicious on its own or paired with a meal. It is very versatile too. You can just feel free to add anything that you like. I have just used lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado but be creative and add chickpeas or any kind of beans, cucumbers, carrot, apple pieces, nuts and seeds and so on and so forth.
The dressing is based on a mix of sour cream, buttermilk and mayo. Onion-garlic powder, lemon juice, pepper and the dried herbs make it zesty. Its easy to put together and may also be prepared and stored in the refrigerator ahead of time for a day or two. Also, if you are out of dried powders and herbs, feel free to use fresh ones.
On a side note, I don’t consider this completely vegetarian since it contains Mayo 🙁
- Lettuce - 1 head, chopped
- Tomato - 1 plum, de-seeded and chopped
- Avocado - 1 ripe, chopped into cubes
- Onion - 1 small, chopped fine
- Sour cream - 2 tspns
- Mayo - 2 tspns
- Buttermilk - a splash or use as needed to thin down dressing
- Lemon Juice - 2 tspns
- Onion-garlic powder - 1/4th tspn
- Dried Parsley - 1/4th tspn
- Dried Dill - 1/4th tspn
- Red Chili powder - 1/8th tspn
- Honey - a dash (Optional)
- Salt - 1/4th tspn
- Pepper - to taste
- 1) Whisk together all ingredients listed under dressing. Store in refrigerator until serving time.
- 2) To make salad, toss all the vegetables together along with the dressing. Serve immediately.
- Serves: 4
- 1) Lettuce wilts if kept too long in the dressing. Hence mix it with the dressing just before serving time.