Oven Baked Salmon
Ahhh .. my favorite topic of fish again! What would I do without you, my fish!
When I first relocated to the US as a 20 something newly married girl with no prior expertise of cooking or for that matter anything else, the thing that I missed the most after my friends and family was ‘fish’. The fish that I saw in the supermarket was not what I had seen in the previous part of the world where I lived. As a matter of fact, I had only eaten fish but not actually bought it. As a girl who ate a meal consisting of fish like 4 times a week, my world had taken a 360 degree turn.
As I got more settled and started embracing the local produce and seafood, I started experimenting in my then little apartment kitchen. Some worked out successfully, some not so much! But I didn’t give up. I just wanted to find a way to eat and enjoy fish! Salmon is one fish that didn’t taste quite as good with the traditional Goan methods of cooking. Trust me, I have tried making Tandoori style salmon to Salmon Xacuti and my taste buds did not like it. My husband, who is also a food connoisseur like me, did not approve it either.
Then one fine day, I just happened to mix and match some ingredients, top it over the fish and then bake into the oven and voila! I had the best creation of this fish. My husband gave me a thumbs up! Now after many years, I still make it quite often since salmon can be conveniently found everywhere in the US. Its kid approved too!
I just eyeball all the ingredients really. I have tried to come up with some measurements for this recipe for you to try. Feel free to tweak it as per your palate.
- Salmon - About 1.5 lbs
- Onion - 1 small, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1/4 cup
- Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
- Green Chillies - 4 to 5, chopped
- Garlic cloves - 3-4 chopped
- Mayonaise - 1 tablespoon
- Mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Parsley/Coriander leaves - for flavor
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tspn (Optional)
- Black pepper, freshly ground - lots of it, to taste
- Salt - to taste
- 1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2) In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the salmon. Adjust the seasonings if needed.The mixture should taste slightly salty and sour.
- 3) Line a baking tray with heavy duty foil and place the salmon over it. Pour the mixture evenly over the salmon.
- 4) Place in oven and let bake for 30 minutes.
- Serves: 8