Mutton Raan Kabab
Super delicious mutton kababs made in a pan. Easy recipe!
The first time that I tried this recipe was at my cousin’s place probably like 7 or 8 years ago. I didn’t eat as much mutton then but this recipe made me like mutton. And since then I have made it a couple of times over all these years and as usual, modified the recipe a bit to suit my taste buds.
The recipe itself is very very easy. All that you need to do is marinate the meat for a few hours after which it is cooked in a pan. Easy!
The meat comes out extremely flavorful. It is very moist too. Succulent is actually the right word here. Serve it with some rice or roti and a salad on the side and you are done with a very elegant looking meal.
- Mutton - 2.24 lbs or about a kilo. ( I use shoulder piece )
- Oil - About 2 tspns
- Thick Yogurt - 1 standard cup
- Ginger - 1 inch, grated ( Or 2 tspns ginger paste )
- Garlic - 4 big cloves, minced ( or 2 tspns garlic paste )
- Garam Masala - 2 tspns
- Red Chilli powder - 1.5 tspns or to taste
- Turmeric powder - 1 tspn
- Sugar - 1.5 tspns
- Salt - 1.5 tspns or to taste
- Lemon Juice - 2 tblpsns
- Fennel Seeds - 1 tspn
- Seeds from 3 green cardamoms
- Pepper powder - 1/2 tspn
- 1) Using a mortar and pestle, crush the fennel and cardamom seeds to form a coarse powder.
- 2) Mix all the ingredients listed under 'Marinade'. At this stage, you may taste this mixture and adjust seasoning if needed.
- 3) Make some gashes over the meat and marinate it using the prepared spice paste, preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- 4) Take the marinated meat out of the refrigerator about an hour before cooking.
- 5) Drizzle some oil in a wide pan. Transfer the meat along with the marinade into the pan in a single layer to prevent steaming.
- 6) Cook covered on medium flame till the mixture gets dry or until the meat is tender, about 40 minutes total. Flip the pieces mid way between cooking. For the final 2 minutes, cook on high flame to get a bit of brown color without letting the spices get burnt.
- Serves: 4-6