Kobichi Kanyachi Bhaji/Cabbage Bhaji with onion
Cabbage cooked in a seasoning prepared with onion, garlic and green chili.
Cabbage cooks really fast and is very ideal to prepare for weeknight meals. This dish is very simple and flavorful and cooks in about 10 minutes. I like the cabbage cooked just right with a wee bit of crunch, not too much but just the right crunch. So I try not to overcook it. But I understand that palates differ from family to family. So yes, if you like it soft, go ahead and cook it that way.
- Half of a Cabbage - Shredded, chopped fine
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
- Onion - 1 small, choppped
- Green Chili - 2, Cut vertically into halves
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Shredded Coconut - 1 tblspn (Optional)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4th tspn
- Coriander leaves - for Garnish
- Sugar - a pinch (Optional)
- Salt - to taste
- 1) Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- 2) Add onion, garlic and green chili and saute for 2 minutes.
- 3) Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Add the cabbage and coconut. Mix well. Cook covered with lid over low flame until cabbage is cooked as per your liking. Try to not add water as much as possible. If you think it sticks to the pan, add a tiny amount of water but only if necessary.
- 4) Add sugar. Adjust seasoning if needed. Switch off the flame. Add coriander leaves.
- Serves: 4