Instant Oats Uttapam/ Instant savory Oats pancake
A very easy savory pancake made with Oat flour that is ready in minutes.
As all other moms, I am concerned about my kids starting their day with a healthy breakfast. I am not a fan of boxed cereals really. To me a breakfast should be warm and hearty, packed with nutrition which keeps you satiated at least for the next 3 hours or so. A good breakfast keeps you full of energy. Research has proven that eating a healthy breakfast increases focus and concentration by stabilizing your blood sugar levels. Just what kids need! Infact, all of us need it!
However, all said and done, it is not always practical to make gourmet breakfasts. Many a times, you need something that is quick without compromising on the flavor or the goodness. Oats to the rescue!
These pancakes can be prepared in a jiffy. You just prepare flour using old fashioned oats in a mixie. Add in some semolina, yogurt and other ingredients per liking. Let it rest for 10 minutes and you are all set for some good pancakes! No prep needed. How pretty is that!
- Old fashioned Oats - 1 standard cup
- Rawa/Semolina - 1/2 cup
- Thick plain yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Water - About 1 & 3/4th to 2 cups
- Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
- Onion - 1 small, chopped
- Green chilies - 2, minced
- Cilantro - leaves from a few strands, chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- 1) Run the Oats through a mixie to form flour.
- 2) Mix all the ingredients together. Start with about 1 cup of water. Add more before cook time if needed. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- 3) Adjust consistency if needed.
- 4) Heat a griddle over medium heat. Apply a thin layer of oil.
- 5) Once hot, pour the batter using a ladle on to the griddle and spread it a little. Drizzle some oil on top. Cook covered with a lid for 2-3 minutes. Remove lid. Flip and let cook on the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Serve hot as is or with some chutney.
- Yield: Makes 6 Uttapam