Husband’s Chicken Curry
Mr. Chocolate Guy really loves his chicken. Chicken curry is probably the first dish that he learnt to cook when he first moved to the US years back as a teenager. He didn’t learn to cook anything else but chicken curry and rice. It was the sheer necessity of his taste buds to get some curried chicken sensation!
Over the years, he has tweaked the curry in many ways. Honestly, I think he did not tweak it but since he could not quite remember what proportions of ingredients he used before, the curry would come out different each time. Sometimes it was lip smacking delicious and some other times … you can make a guess 😉
But now, he knows the measurements and the curry comes out really really good each time. This is one curry that you would find at our place if he is the one taking charge of the kids on school days off. The kids love their dad’s chicken curry. And I love the curry for 2 reasons: its delicious no doubt and I get a day off from cooking. Which wife would not like it! And yes, the kitchen too is now clean after cooking. I am so proud of him!
- Chicken - 1 whole(probably like 5 lbs), skin removed and cut into pieces
- Oil - 3 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
- Cumin seeds - 1.5 tspn
- Onion - 2 large, chopped fine
- Tomato - 1 large, chopped
- Green Chillies - 2 slit vertically
- Ginger - 1 inch, sliced
- Garlic - 5 cloves, peeled and simply crushed roughly using a knife
- Turmeric powder - 3/4th tspn
- Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tspn
- Pepper powder - 5 pepper mill turns
- Cloves - 3, powdered
- Curry masala for Chicken, store-bought - About 5 tbspn ( We used MDH brand ) or to taste
- Hot water - 2.5 cups
- Tomato Ketchup - 1/4th cup
- Salt - to taste
- 1) Marinate chicken with a tablespoon of salt and 1.5 tablespoon of curry powder for a couple of hours in the refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- 2) Heat 2 tbspns oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and let cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Turn and let cook for another 5-8 minutes or until the color changes on the outside. Transfer to a plate.
- 3) In the same pot, heat the remaining tbspn of oil over medium high flame. Once hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cover with a lid. Let the seeds crackle.
- 4) Add onion, ginger, garlic, clove powder, pepper powder and let cook for 4-5 minutes.
- 5) Add the tomato and green chillies, turmeric, red chilli and the remaining curry powder and mix well. Let cook for 2 mins. Add hot water. Cover with lid and let cook for 3 more minutes.
- 6) Add the chicken. Mix well. Cover with lid and cook on medium flame for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 7) Add ketchup, mix well and cook for 2 more minutes. Adjust consistency and seasoning if needed. Serve hot with rice/roti/bread.
- Serves : 10 or more