Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins
Yummy Chocolate Muffins made with chocolate chips. So easy. Better than store bought!
Over the weekend, my little one perhaps had a little Chocolatey craving. On Saturday, he asked me if I could make some muffins which were brown and with Chocolate Chips inside. I thought it was just a passing craving. So I told him that I will make it soon. On Sunday, he asked me again. Trust me this little buddy of mine rarely asks me to make something and hence I decided I will get to business right away.
I had never made Chocolate muffins before. I have made Chocolate cakes and brownies but not Chocolate muffins. With some tweaks, I put in together the ingredients for the requirements that he had put forward. The house smelled like heaven as they were baking and when they came out of the oven, I was overjoyed to see the result. It was just love at first bite! 😉
I made these on Sunday late evening. 9 of them. There were none left by monday evening. Hubby said they tasted better than store bought.
- All-purpose flour/Maida - 1 cup + 1/4th cup
- Coco powder - 1/4th cup (un-sweetened)
- Granulated/Powdered sugar - 3/4th cup
- Salt - 1/2 tspn
- Baking powder - 2 tspns
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips - 1/2 cup
- Neutral flavored oil - 1/3rd cup ( I used Canola )
- Egg - 1 large
- Milk - Max 1/2 cup ( See directions below )
- Vanilla Extract/Essence - 1 & 1/2 tspns
- 1) In a mixing bowl, combine and mix the dry ingredients (except the Chocolate Chips) very well. Ensure there are no lumps. Add in the Chips and give it a good stir.
- 2) In a standard measuring cup, add the oil, egg and essence and then fill it to the 1 cup mark i.e. all ingredients combined together should be 1 cup. Beat the egg and the mixture well so that it is even.
- 3) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Using a fork, mix it to just moisten the whole mixture. Do not over mix or you will end up with tough muffins.
- 4) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin tray with liners and fill them with the prepared mixture. Fill any empty muffin cups with 2 tblspns of water to help bake evenly. Bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 5) Transfer to a cooling rack. Store in air tight container once completely cooled.
- Yield: Makes 9 muffins ( or more depending on the batter added to each muffin cup )
- 1) Correct way to measure flour is to spoon it into the measuring cup and then level with a knife. If you directly use the cup to fill flour, you can end up with way more than is required and the muffins may end up being tough.
- 2) If you do not want the base Chocolate flavor, skip the coco powder and use 1/4th cup of flour.
- 3) Mix dry ingredients as much as you want. Mix wet ingredients separately as much as you want. But when you are mixing them together do not over mix. Over mixing results in tough muffins, the same principle as pancakes. A fork is the best tool for this.
- 4) For non-Chocolate muffins, skip the coco powder and the chips and add equivalent flour and raisins/nuts of your choice.