Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Broccoli married to Cheddar is just deliciousness in your mouth!
This past week I was feeling under the weather. We somehow managed with 2 days of eating out but on the third day, I just decided to take a day off. With kids in school and hubby at work, I spent my entire day in bed. I was actually done with takeouts. I had no mood to cook but still craved for a piping hot bowl of soup. Chicken soup was #1 on my mind but honestly I had no patience to clean the chicken or cut it up and then disinfect the counters. We were out of town over the weekend and hence had not really grocery shopped as well. When I checked the fridge, I saw some broccoli sitting. There was also about half a packet of cheddar cheese begging to be used up. Aah, broccoli cheddar soup … why did I not think about it earlier I thought. The hands on time for this soup is actually very little since I used pre-washed, pre-chopped broccoli and pre-shredded cheese.
Serve this soup with some crusty hot bread and its yum!
- Broccoli florets - 1-1.5 lbs
- Butter - 1 tbspn
- Onion - 1 small, chopped fine
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Milk, 2% - 2 cups
- Shredded Cheddar cheese - 3.5 oz or more to your liking
- Water - 3 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Red Chilli powder - 1/2 tspn (Optional)
- Sugar - 2 tspns (Optional, for restaurant like taste)
- 1) Heat the butter in a pot over medium flame. Add onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- 2) Add broccoli florets and about a cup of water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Cook covered on medium high flame for about 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Switch off the flame and let cool a bit.
- 3) Take about 1/8th portion of the cooked broccoli and cut it into tiny pieces. I simply used a masher to turn it into bits.
- 4) Run the remaining broccoli through a blender. Return it to the pot. Add all the remaining ingredients with the remaining 2 cups of water or less to adjust consistency. Let it heat up over medium low flame until the cheese melts. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot with crusty bread.
- Serves: 4