Baked Chicken/Turkey Kheema balls/Kababs
Ground chicken/turkey meat seasoned with spices and oven baked to perfection!
Love the beauty of this dish. It can be eaten as an appetizer or with salad or spaghetti or transformed into a wrap or a sandwich or simply as a side to rice and dal. Pretty easy to make as well. Simply mix everything, bake in the oven and broil for the extra color if desired. No frills involved, yet very elegant.
My family loves this dish. The kids usually like roti-kabab paired with a salad in their lunchboxes. Yummy in the tummy is what they like to call it. Easy to pack and easy to eat.
- Ground Chicken or turkey - 1 pound
- Onion - 1 small, chopped
- Garlic cloves - 3-4 minced
- Ginger - 1/2 inch, grated
- Cumin powder - 1 tspn
- Coriander powder - 1 tbspn
- Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tspn
- Green Chillies - 2, minced (Optional)
- Red Chilli powder - 3/4th tspn or to taste
- Garam Masala powder - 1 tspn (Optional)
- Breadcrumbs - 1/4th to 1/2 cup for binding
- Egg - 1, large
- Amchur powder - 1/2 tspn (Optional)
- Chopped Coriander or Mint leaves - About 2-3 tbpsn
- Oil - 2 tbspn
- Salt - to taste
- 1) In a mixing bowl, mix everything except the meat and egg. Taste the mixture. It should be a bit salty and spicy. Add the meat and the egg and mix evenly until coated with spice. Do not over mix or else you will end up with tough meatballs/kababs.
- 2) Put one oven rack in the lowest position and one in the uppermost position. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3) Line a baking tray with aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Lightly grease with oil. Oil the palms of your hands as well. Shape the prepared mixture into meatballs or kababs and place on the baking tray.
- 4) Put the tray on the lowest rack. Bake for 30 minutes. Switch off oven.
- 5) Using a heat mitt, transfer tray to topmost rack. Broil on high for 3 minutes. Be careful and pull out the tray using a heat mitt. Turn the meat balls/kababs and broil on high for another 5 minutes. This step is optional but gives a good color and flavor.
- Servings: Makes about 21 meat balls or about 10 kababs